Almost a hundred years ago East Field House Prep school was destroyed by fire despite the best efforts of the Ditchling Fire Brigade and others. The school wasn’t insured for such a disaster and couldn’t be rebuilt. Instead it was decided that the site would be perfect for a community hall. It coincided with a lot of countrywide fund-raising to build halls and other memorials in honour of the WWI fallen, although this was not its
specific intention. The building closest to the road was completely destroyed, but the four windows in the building behind can still be seen in the front facade of the Village Hall. The project was financed by individual donations, not from the public purse, so it was not and is not a ‘Parish Hall’. In 1920 the new Village Hall opened and is run by trustees drawn from residents and societies. However, it constituted little more than today’s stage and lower hall.