Where was the Village Work House?
The Village Work House was demolished in 1873 and the present building, housing Pruden and Smith and The Larder, was built on the site.
For many years the corner shop was a butchers. Later, from 1937 until 1986 it was the office of the Ditchling Press with the printing workshops in South Street.
This photograph from the 1920s depicts a time when folk dancing at the crossroads was part of the Fair Day entertainment. Presumably, there was no need to apply to close the road to traffic!